Friday, January 11, 2008

Only God Knows... so Only He can Judge Me - The Possibility of Existence Differential

I'm so tired of haters. Moreover, I'm tired of haters trying to affect and influence non-haters. So for all of those of us who don't hate, with reason, or for those who do hate, without reason, here is some rational analysis of the nature of judgment in general.

Logical Induction re. Judgment
- There are billions of people in the world now.
- There have been billions of people in the world throughout the course of history.
- For every person ever born, there are an infinite number of minute decisions as to the conditions under which that person is born
- For every interaction with other individuals that infinite amount of possibility of existence is multiplied by the number of individuals involved, multiplied by an infinite amount of circumstances in which the interaction could take place, multiplied by the infinite amount of chemical composures which make each individual's brain chemistry different and therefore make them predisposed to certain emotions, actions, etc.

With literally infinite possibilities in this world - it is impossible to imagine that everyone should understand every part of everyone else. At best, we make friends that understand most of us. 75% is lucky. 95% is unrepeatable phenomenon. There is, however, the likelihood that we may meet someone who understands 0% of who we are. The more of yourself that you offer someone else, the larger the denominator of interactions by which you are judged becomes. Given the great unlikelihood of being understood, the numerator in this proportion (acts communicated favorably/ acts of interaction total)likely stays the same. The less you offer of yourself, the more likely you are to be liked. One good interaction gives you a 100% success rate - although this assumes that no pre-judgment of your character is involved.

Given these odds, is it any wonder why we don't all get along? No. Its pretty obvious why. That said, respect is something that has no variation in its implementation and no exceptions as to its appropriateness. Respect is the ability to listen and reserve judgment on those whom we don't necessarily understand. Ex. If someone makes a statement that another thinks is zany, off color, irrelevant, dumb (although dumb is relatively more objectively defined), not humorous or unworthy, rather than judging that person, respectful conduct dictates that you move on for lack of interpersonal understanding.

Where does our lack of interpersonal understanding come from? Interpersonal ignorance:the lack of interest in why someone said something and who they are to have said it and what it means to them.

Why do people disregard the importance of this sort of understanding? I have several conjectures:
1.) Discomfort with personal honesty and oneself
2.) The overwhelming nature of how many realities exist in the universe
3.) Complete inability to relate and therefore disbelief in the existence of the inherent value of removed perspective

Since there is no scientifically proven measure by which "coolness" is determined, there is no truth in the matter - this sort of judgment is therefore nearly impossible by any objective standards. Rude and judgmental behavior therefore becomes necessarily manifest of one's ignorance.

As someone who has put much thought into how I interact with others I have come up with my own personal conclusion as to why judging others doesn't work for me. I really do not understand some people - many people totally do not understand me. Someone may have myriad reasons to do or say something that I do not understand and their treatment of me does not necessarily involve the value of my character and beliefs at all. Moreover, for someone as goofy as me, to be serious about being nasty to someone I have no reason to be nasty to, takes more effort than my natural tendency to make silly jokes and comments. Rudeness is certainly more difficult, more stressful, and less aerobically efficient than kindness.

I personally believe that people lash out as a result of personal discomfort. To what injury is a witty person if you're not insecure about your own wit or reminded of a personal lack thereof? It is our human tendency to use aggression when we defend ourselves.

On a personal level,I am really tired of my friendliness/goofy demeanor being misunderstood. My closest friends understand that I am a totally goofy individual. I am super honest, even when it is awkward - not because I'm trying to be blunt or hard core, but because I have really never been good at lying, and getting caught in a lie is far more awkward (and not funny) than honest awkwardness which can be endearing.

Laughter perpetuates laughter - happiness perpetuates happiness. So really, we have to ask ourselves: why not just be nice? Why not take an honest stab at smiling at people we don't know in the yard? Just as charity is good for the soul, charitable interactions (granting as much dignity to another's character or system of rationale as we give to ours)increase spiritual soundness.

Be nice,
Papoose

1 comment:

Paul Whang said...

i liked this one. so i decided to "detox" and just drink water and eat fruits but jenna said i need fiber. i say bump that, what are your thoughts